May 09, 2012
Iron worker falls into vat of acid
(UPI) -- An iron worker who fell 40 feet through a factory roof into a vat of acid was rescued by four of his co-workers, fire officials in New Jersey said.
Martin Davis, 44, of Avenal, N.J., was reported in critical condition with a broken rib, punctured lung and burns on his legs and side, The Record of Woodland Park, N.J. reported.
Davis was working on the roof of a metal tubing plant in Clifton Monday when he fell into a tank of nitric acid used for cleaning.
Clifton Fire Chief Vincent Colavitti Jr. said co-worker Rob Nuckols, 51, jumped into the vat and was aided by three other roofers in pulling Davis out.
Colavitti said Davis was red and seemed to be in shock when he emerged from the tank after being fully submerged.
Nuckols was treated for burns on his legs and abdomen at a hospital and then released.